Thursday, December 08, 2005

Importance of Discipeship

Importance of Discipleship

As I have studied in to wisdom and knowledge I have learned a lot about myself and the path that the Lord has put me on. I have also learned a lot about the things I have learned (knowledge) and how those things have changed as I have gained some wisdom. I am in no way wise but with every passing day I gain more wisdom.

Discipleship is one such example of where I thought I had it all figured out and I was wrong. When I became a Christian I had a man by the name of Daniel disciple me. The day I was baptized he handed me a notebook piece of paper full of scripture references for me to read and learn.  He sent me down of path of gaining knowledge knowing that I would later learn how to apply this knowledge for the good of the King the Lord has made.  But as all things change so did my view of “..study to show thy self approved.”

When I went to college I did not get involved in bible study or discipleship and my view changed. I believed that discipleship was a formality in our walk and that was it. I believed it played no major role in our daily activities such as witnessing and evangelizing.  By the end of my junior year all I cared about was winning people to Christ and what needed to happen to see that this happened. I never took this evangelism out of the realm that it was God saving these people not I so it was not about selfish desires.

Why do I talk about all this, because as I have grown up and gained wisdom I have learned the importance of discipleship and its role in the Christian walk. Discipleship is what got me in the church, it is what kept me in the church, and those things I was taught when I first came of Christ is what has pulled me through those tough times.  Those things I was taught are what I used when witnessing.  Discipleship is key to the Christian walk and anyone who trys to say otherwise is incorrect.

If you are reading this I am asking that you post your own stories of discipleship and what it has meant to you. Also post your views of discipleship and its importance to the church.

No comments: