Friday, September 30, 2005

Revised Definition

In my journey to understand Knowledge and Wisdom I have decided to start with knowledge. I did some research and came up with a definition for knowledge. You have to know what you are researching before you can actually try to figure it out. After sitting on my definition of knowledge I decided it wasn’t quite right.

Definition as yesterday: “Knowledge is the sum of what you are conviced or certain of to be true or factual.”
I didn’t state this entirely correctly and this was pointed out to me. A better definition is this: “Knowledge is the sum of the things you are aware of that are true or factual.”

This definition is a very worldly definition. Seeing that I am a believer in God and Jesus Christ I don't believe you can define something like knowledge with out seeking God's definition and view of knowledge. I mean if you are a believer you have to believe a few facts about knowledge.

1)God is the God of Knowledge. (I Sam 2:3)
"Boast no more so very proudly, Do not let arrogance come out of your mouth; For the Lord is a God of Knowledge, and with Him actions are weighted."

In this scripture it says that "the Lord is a God of Knowledge" and I say the Lord is THE God of Knowledge. I say this because of the First Commandment. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". Also the word God is capitalized in I Samuel. With those two things I don't believe I am off when I say God is THE GOD of Knowledge. There are many other reasons i could state but I won't for shortness of this writting.

2)God's knowledge is much higher they we could ever attain. (Psalms 139:1-6)
v6 says, "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it."
This passage is talking about the ways of the Lord and His knowings of our comings and going, risings and fallings, words and no words. So if we can never attain the knowledge of God why do we study it from his word and try to understand it. Psalms 119:10 is the answer. His knowledge is given to us in the word and althought we may never attain and apply it(this could be wisdom but we will see about this later) we will "tresure Your word in my heart, That I may not sin against You".

So with these facts stated...Is the study of knowledge the study of how not to sin? Instresting thought I think. I am not saying that is true or false but I think i will investigate further in to this idea next post.

No comments: