Monday, March 01, 2010

Proverbs 1

As i mentioned in my previous post I am going to work on a serious of post for my son based around my study of Proverbs. God has given us all the "one-liners" we need to instruct and teach our children in His ways if we are just willing to use them. So I started with Proverbs 1. I don't know how long I will spend in this book. Most people do a Proverb a day. Not sure if that is where this is going yet or not, we will just have to see. As for Proverbs 1.....

I have read through the Proverbs many times and one of my favorite verses of Scripture is Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction." I think if you had to put a big bow on the book of proverbs this verse is it. Now just a few notes I wrote as I read.

- Prov 1:5 "A wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel"

- To have knowledge is to have understanding of information about something. To have wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge to daily life.

- Major Themes of Proverbs 1

* v. 1-10 A call to knowledge and wisdom

* v. 11-19 Evil seeks possessions and destruction

* v. 20-33 Judgment

- Prov 1:31 "So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way and be satisfied with their own devices"

No comments: