Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Expections vs. Entitlement

Ever had one of those "AA Ha" moments? I had one of those this weekend as I was working on the house. If you don't know crystal and i have done alot of work to our house. We have done nearly all the work ourselves to help save money. But no matter how much work we do on this house it never looks as nice as I think it should look. I want our house to look like a $250,000 in Prospect(a very nice sub-division in louisville). What I came to realize is this. No matter how much work or money we put in this house it is never going to look like one of those houses.

Two thing are at work here. First, this is sinful because basically I am trying to "keep up with the Jones" instead of being content with what God has provided for Crystal and I. I keep thinking "if i could just fix this or replace that" then this house would look like that "dream house". So basically I have unrealistic expectation of what this house should look like.

Secondly, this problem of expectations goes deeper. I feel like I deserve to have a big, fancy, nice, prospect type house. This is very cultural. We as a culture believe that we deserve it because someone else has it and we want it. Truth of the matter is that is sin plain and simple. Tha that is the pure definition of envy. So I have two things to work on in my personal life but I am not done yet.

I have for a long time had a problem with UK basketball fans. I couldn't really tell you what it was that i didn't like but UK basketball fans are just different. Ok let me be clear here...I am not speaking of all UK fans but a large group of fans that I am going to describe are like what I am going to say. For a while I thought it was the expectations they put on their program. I thought it was the expectations that drove Tubby out. But then I got to thinking. I am the first person on the wagon to see Darrin Horn be fired from Western Kentucky. He has not taken us to the big dance yet in four years. This is unacceptable for WKU...PERIOD!!!Heck if there isn't a band wagon yet, i will start the dang thing. I WANT DARRIN HORN FIRED!!!! Then it hit me, I expect WKU basketball to be in the big dance every year. I have high expectations. This is no different than UK fans wanting to be in the final four every year. Thus it is not the unrealistic expectation on the program that are what I don't like. I mean every fan has unrealistic expectation on the team they pull for and if you say you don't then you aren't a true fan.

Then it hit me. The problem is no different than what I experienced over the weekend. The feeling that I deserve a big fancy house. ENTITLEMENT! What drives me nuts about UK fans is just that. A lot of fans of UK think that simply because of their tradition that they are entitled to the final four, the best coach, the best recruits, etc. This is simply FALSE. Past preformance are no promise of future results. I as a WKU fan do not feel like WKU basketball is entitled to the NCAA every year. I think they need to work to get there but this seems much different from UK basketball fans. They feel like they are entitled to Billy Donovan. They are entitled the top 5 recruits. Now let me be fair every sport has this at different schools. Alabama and Tennessee football for example. So I am not condeming UK fans simply stating the facts. I am no different than then when it comes to tennessee football but we all should keep this in mind because our sports teams are ENTITLED TO NOTHING!!!!

No comments: